Why the name ‘pistolfighter.com’? The name actually came from the movie ‘The Outlaw Josey Wales’ (1976)…
“Always wanted to face out one of these big pistolfighters they raise all the fuss about.” -Abe (played by Len Lesser) … right before he got shot (twice) by a pistolfighter using a backup gun.
As for me, after careful consideration I thought it most important to tell you who I’m NOT.
- I’m not a police officer.
- I’m not a member of any military special operations unit.
- I’m not a grand master, or even an aspiring grand master, in USPSA, IPSC, IDPA, SASS, or any other random combination of letters.
- I am not a firearms instructor or a self defense instructor.
- I don’t work for, nor have I been published in, any gun-related publication.
So who the heck am I? I’m just a regular guy with a regular job that has nothing to do with guns. I have a modest gun collection (I love Colt revolvers) and I really love shooting. I’m an NRA benefactor life member and Golden Eagle. I like hunting but it’s not my focus. I am a veteran.
I’m not the least bit tactical. I’m not a closet commando, but I do like 5.11 pants (especially the Stryke pants) and I wear a Tactical Tailor ‘operator’ hat (because they make it in XL and I have a big melon). There are no gun stickers on my truck. I live my life hoping that I’m lucky enough or smart enough to never need my skills.
I know that evil exists, and I know that I am my own first responder. I carry a gun. I know that bad things happen to good people. I know that, even though the chances are remote, I could be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I know that even if I do everything right, I can still get killed.
My very brief resume is:
- Gunsite 250
- Larry Vickers Tactical Pistol 1
- Dave Grossman’s Bulletproof Mind
- Gunsite 350
- Larry Vickers Advanced Pistol
- Rob Leatham Advanced Pistol
- Gunsite Defense Against Street Crimes
- Gunsite 350 Night
This blog is designed to be a place where I can document and share my experiences, thoughts, and evolving philosophy. I decided to write it because people like me are under-represented in the gun blogosphere. I thought others may both appreciate and learn from my experiences, and I hope to learn from others as well.